Saturday, July 27, 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Picnic dinner 6:00 pm - 7:30 pm (optional)
Pend Oreille River in WA
Put-in at Metaline Park, Metaline, WA 99153: Take out at Boundry Dam
We will meet at Metaline Park in Metaline, WA. This is about a 1.5 hour drive from Spokane and about 2 hours from Coeur d'Alene. We will put all our float gear at the Metaline Park boat launch. Then we will carpool most of our cars about 12 miles down river to Boundary Dam. Then we'll all launch onto the water from the park and float to the Boundary Dam beach/campground/boat launch. At times the water flow is very slow so you will have to paddle to make down river progress. Depending on how many stops we make, it will take about 6 hours to paddle to Boundary Dam. There are several places to stop along the river to stretch your legs. You may want to jump in and out of the water, kids especially! Usually the water is cool but comfortable. This is definitely a paddle trip that all ages will enjoy! The Pend Oreille River flows north (into Canada!)
Map of Metaline, WA
Directions from Spokane to Metaline Park in Metaline, WA 99152:
- Hwy 2 north
- Turn left (north) onto 211 N
- Turn left (west) onto 20 W
- State Rte 20 changes names to WA-31 N/International Selkirk Loop N
- Metaline is about 5 miles north of Box Canyon Dam
- Once in Metaline (don't blink or you will miss it!), turn right on South Main Ave
- Drive to the end of this road then veer right when you get to the park at the end.
- Park your car near the port-a-potty
Drop off all your stuff (everything you want to float with) at Metaline Park. Our group will drive all cars (1 driver per car) to Boundary Dam beach/campground/boat launch. We will leave all cars except a few at Boundary Dam. All drivers will get into a few cars and drive back to Metaline Park.
Map of Boundary Dam
Directions from Metaline Park to Boundary Dam
- Right onto WA-31 N/International Selkirk Loop N
- Take the 1st left onto Boundary Rd
- Right on Boundary Access Rd
Please note: You will probably won't get any cell phone reception north of Ione. Ione is about 9 miles south of Metaline Park.
What to bring:
- life jackets (required)
- canoe and/or kayak. You can rent in Spokane from REI or Mountain Gear. In Metaline Falls, rent from Boundary Tours.
- plenty of food and drinks
- bathing suit
- Guide to Edible Plants (optional)
- Exploring Families Release of Liability form
Ages: All ages
Cost: Free. All the parking is free so there is no cost for the day.
Tour limits: none
How to Register: For an adult and her 3 kids, the adult would register herself under the "Adult Attendee Info" section. Then under "Additional Family Members" at the bottom of the form, she would select "3" in the drop down box.
Free camping is available at Boundary Dam on a first come, first serve basis. Click here for details.
Each family will have to print, complete, sign, and bring with you an Exploring Families Release of Liability form. Download it here.