Saturday, April 26, 2014
11:15 am - 12:00 noon
12 noon - 12:45 pm
The Cathedral of St. John the Evangelist
127 East 12th Avenue, Spokane, WA 99202
The original dream of a great cathedral in Spokane came to The Right Reverend Edward Makin Cross in 1924, shortly after he arrived to be the new missionary bishop. Together with architect Harold C. Whitehouse, the Bishop began to plan for a gothic cathedral atop the hill. The Cathedral has classical Gothic architecture with a strong French influence. It is solid masonry; no structural wood or steel were used. The dedication of the first section of the church was on October 20, 1929.
The Cathedral’s authentic Gothic architecture and construction materials combined with the artistry of the organ’s design create an outstanding environment for organ music.
The carillon in Bishop Cross Tower is one of very few in the Pacific Northwest and consists of 49 cast bells. They were cast and installed by John Taylor and Sons of Loughborough, Leicestershire, England. The bells are sounded by mechanical operation from a clavier on which levers are arranged in sequence like a piano keyboard with a footboard like an organ. The carillonneur strikes the levers with the bottom of a cupped fist and feet. Above the levers, like the upright insides of a piano, stainless wires and turnbuckles are each linked to a single bell and pull the clapper against the bells.
Ages: Recommended for ages 8 and older. All ages may attend as long as they are not disruptive.
Tour limits: 35 people