Friday, September 30, 2016, 11 am - 1 pm
Stonerose Interpretive Center & Eocene Fossil Site Dig
15-1 North Kean, Republic, WA
Stonerose Interpretive Center is located on the corner of Kean Street and Highway 20 W., across from the city park. The fossil site is just a short 2 block walk from the Interpretive Center.
The adventure begins with a brief introduction about fossils and how to hunt for fossils. You can view Stonerose's collections on display to see the possibilities. After orientation, a fossil guide will go with the group up to the dig site, which is 2 blocks away. You will probably want to be at the dig site about an hour but you can stay longer if you want. When you are done digging, you can bring your finds down to the Interpretive Center for identification. Each digger is allowed to keep 3 fossils (unless staff thinks it is of significant scientific value.) There is a nice city park across the street from the Center. You are welcome to enjoy the park with your own picnic lunch before or after your Stonerose visit.
- Diggers, ages 5-17: $8. Hammer and cold chisel rental are included for free.
- Diggers, adults: $11. Hammer and cold chisel rental are included for free.
- Non-diggers (adults only) are free. Hammer and cold chisel rental are not included.
- Ages 0-4 are free. Hammer and cold chisel rental are not included.
What to bring: You may also bring your own tools to use in splitting apart the shale. A medium (1/2-inch-size cold chisel is best, but people have used old screwdrivers, putty knives, etc.) A hammer of any kind can be used to tap on the chisel handle. You may bring paper towels or newspapers to wrap the fossils in. Fossils can be damaged by contact with hard objects; wrapping prevents scratching.
Tour Limits: 50 people
Payment is required in advance via PayPal, credit card, debit card, check, or cash. There is no "Pay at the Door." Your spots with our group are saved when payment is received. Payment is due 2 days before the event. If payment is not received by then, your reservation will be cancelled.
Cancellation Policy: You can have a full refund if you contact Exploring Families by September 26, 2016. There is no refund if you cancel after September 26, 2016.
- Searching for or removing fossils is permitted only after purchasing a site admission sticker at the Stonerose Interpretive Center and only during the hours the Center is open.
- All individuals at the fossil site must have an admission sticker with them.
- All finds must be shown to a Stonerose staff member.
- The Stonerose Interpretive Center reserves the right to retain any fossils that are of scientific value or significant to the Stonerose collection.
- Visitors are allowed to take home three fossil pieces per person per day. Commercial use is strictly prohibited.
- Do not look for fossils in high areas or as instructed by Stonerose staff.
- The fossil site is within walking distance of the Center. There is handicapped parking at the fossil site only. No motor homes, campers or cars with trailers.
Clothing & Protection
We recommend that you wear shoes that offer protection from sharp rocks. Tennis shoes are ok; flip flops and sandals are not. We suggest you wear long pants and bring goggles or sunglasses as protections from flying rock chips. Since the site is located in direct sunlight, dress and plan accordingly. Water is available for purchase at the site and Center.
Handicap and Stroller Accessibility
The Center is handicapped accessible. There is also handicapped parking at the fossil site, but, depending on yours needs, you may need to bring an assistant with you to help you access the fossil shale.