Workshop Speaker Bios
- 2:30 pm. Homeschool Qualifying Course
- 3:00 pm. Learning Styles
- 4:00 pm. Teaching History Outside the Box
- 4:30 pm. Q&A Panel
- Field Trips and Educational Adventures for Homeschoolers
- 12:30 pm. Parent Partnership Program/Alternative Learning Experience - East Valley School District
Suellen Bierce is our program liaison. She brings with her 17 years of experience home schooling her three children and 14 years of experience in ALE schools. She will calm the registration waters! Whether high school students needed credit classes for graduation or younger students needed to be matched with the right teacher, she has helped families negotiate the maze for years. Suellen has a heart for home schooling and alternative learning, a love for children of all ages and deep respect for parents as their children's educators. She will be the knowledgeable first-contact person for families who call.
- 2:00 pm. National Christian Forensic and Communication Association
- 10:30 am. Washington Homeschool Laws
- 11:00 am. Unschooling
- 12:00 noon. Homeschool Band and Strings
Lisa Laulainen is a co-teacher with Lilac City Homeschool Band. She is a trained band teacher who regularly performs on saxophone for church and community events. She is committed to providing a quality band experience to students.
- 1:30 pm. Parent Partnership Program/Alternative Learning Experience / The Enrichment Cooperative (TEC) at the Bryant Campus / Spokane Public Schools
Kay Schutz has 20 years of experience in public education with the majority of those years spent in Alternative Learning. She has been with TEC since its conception as part of the team that created and launched the program in 2002. Kay has spent the past 12 years as the first contact for families looking for educational options for their children. She has been privileged to work with parents and students as they begin their search for alternative educational choices. Kay is passionate about offering hope and encouragement to parents as they discuss options to best fit each individual child.
- 10:00 am. Homeschool PE at the Valley YMCA
Amber has been involved with sports for most of her life. She began her athletic career in high school and continued on into college. As a double sport collegiate athlete, her choice of study was Kinesiology. This field of study led her to coaching others, helping them to better understand how their bodies and minds work together. Amber has coached many athletes, teams and individuals to reach their goals and potential. Amber has two young boys of her own and understands the need to start children early in these important areas of their lives. Amber has a love for coaching, training and educating youth in the area of health and wellness. In addition to Home School PE, Amber teaches group exercise classes at the YMCA, small group personal training and Youth Sports Performance, as well as helping members in our Wellness Center.
- 4:30 pm. Classical Education and Classical Conversations
Kathleen Batchelder is the director for the new Classical Conversations Community in Spokane Valley. She grew up in Northern Idaho, is now married and has four kids, 5mos to 6 years. Kathleen can often be found sipping some coffee and looking for some new recipes to bake up.
- 11:30 am. Spokane Valley Learning Academy/Parent Partnership Program/Alternative Learning Experience (Central Valley School District - Public School)
- 12:00 pm. LDS Homeschooling
- 1:00 pm. Learning Styles
- 2:00 pm. Homeschooling High Schoolers
- 2:30 pm. Handling the Naysayers and Inspiring Confidence in Your Decision to Homeschool
- 3:00 pm. How to Use Blogs to Improve Your Homeschool
- 3:30 pm. The Advantages of Becoming a Homeschool Blogger
- 4:00 pm. I've Decided to Homeschool, Now What? (Aka- beginning homeschooling)
- 4:30 pm. Q&A Panel
- 11:00 am. Homeschool Blogging: What's the Big Deal?
- 12:30 pm. Homeschool Journey
- 10:00 am. Parental Rights
- 10:30 am. Home-based Instruction (Independent Homeschooling) and Christian Family Home Educators (CFHE)
- 1:00 pm. Homeschool Qualifying Course
- 1:30 pm. Christian Homeschooling, Resources, & Curriculum
- 3:30 pm. Private School Extension Programs and Northwest Christian School Homeschool Program
- 4:30 pm. Q&A Panel
- 11:30 am. Monday Homeschool Network